Friday, October 3, 2008

Robert Frost aceo


Robert Frost aceo
Originally uploaded by popcornfeet

Sometimes when I'm driving I see old church graveyards and have to stop to walk between the stones. I like the quiet dignity that resides there. I like to honor those souls that remain... I feel sad that there are probably never visitors... the last burial probably hundreds of years before.

The grass is always soft and green, the stones always beautifully aged by weather....but there is a loneliness. A lack of new flowers left... No signs of recent love.... No hint of loved ones missed. I'm always glad I stopped to sit a while with people losg past missed... long passed remembered... Long past.



Robert Frost wrote a poem about these graveyards, In a Disused Graveyard, in his 1924 Pulitzer Prize winning book, New Hampshire (which also included Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening) To me, it says all I feel about these places. And perhaps more.



In a Disused Graveyard

The living come with grassy tread
To read the gravestones on the hill;
The graveyard draws the living still,
But never anymore the dead.
The verses in it say and say:
"The ones who living come today
To read the stones and go away
Tomorrow dead will come to stay."
So sure of death the marbles rhyme,
Yet can't help marking all the time
How no one dead will seem to come.
What is it men are shrinking from?
It would be easy to be clever
And tell the stones: Men hate to die
And have stopped dying now forever.
I think they would believe the lie.

on ebay - cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150301259...

No comments: