Saturday, October 18, 2008

Because I could not stop for Death, he kindly stopped for me ACEO


Because I could not stop for Death, he kindly stopped for me ACEO
Originally uploaded by popcornfeet


I've read this poem a lot recently. It's one of the first one's I found when I started goggling famous quotes.
Quotes like:

Because I could not stop for Death,
He kindly stopped for me;

I knew the first line, but nothing more.

I was surprised to find it was an Emily Dickinson poem. Shes one of those people who I considered stale and musty and to my eternal embarrassment too creaky and without current relevance to read.

I continue to live and learn ... and become humble.

I've read what people think this poem is about - how the different stanzas represent the progression of life ... or maybe death is a suitor... or maybe a betrayer? Or she is ready to die ? Or not? Perhaps she is ill...Or already dead....And

I'm not sure really and have no scholarly letters.... but I think perhaps it's Emily Dickinson saying - No one is ready, least of all herself.


Because I could not stop for Death,
He kindly stopped for me;
The carriage held but just ourselves
And Immortality.
We slowly drove, he knew no haste,
And I had put away
My labor, and my leisure too,
For his civility.

We passed the school, where children strove
At recess, in the ring;
We passed the fields of gazing grain,
We passed the setting sun.

Or rather, be passed us;
The dews grew quivering and chill,
For only gossamer my gown,
My tippet only tulle.

We paused before house that seemed
A swelling of the ground;
The roof was scarcely visible,
The cornice but a mound.

Since then 'tis centuries, and yet each
Feels shorter than the day
I first surmised the horses' heads
Were toward eternity.

on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=150304316020

No comments: