Saturday, March 8, 2008

Facing Therapy Aceo



This ACEO is based on my own photograph . Being disabled , especially with a mental illness can be difficult. People can have their minds made up about you before you say a word. It was after a difficult set of experiences where I was written off simply for being honest about the nature of my disability. I did a series of photographs featuring locks, walls and reflections This ACEO is the third in a series where I used empty hall ways. I took this picture when I entered the building of my therapist - I was dreading going that day and wanted to work out the feelings later with the image. Ultimately it became this ACEO.


This card is about walking into therapy and leaving your life open. It's about what goes on behind the walls of a therapist's office and it's about trying to take what you learn there, back out with you... And how hard that can be... and how high a wall that is to scale.


We all want to be ' better' when we go back out into our lives. To leave the office changed...improved...clear. Sometimes I wonder if that's even possible...and sometimes I don't even care.


Sometimes it's enough to know that for that hour someone in this world is helping... caring...focused on me... and if that's all I can take out with me...sometime's that's enough.

SOLD

No comments: