Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Eerie Pumpkins Aceo



How much of life is in your perception of it?
This is a card made of a brand new photograph. This week-end I was out picking pumpkins for halloween. I like to carve them but not until Thanksgiving because I like having the bright faceless orange heads around as long as possible (which is probably a bit odd in itself). So I went to a pick-your-own farm.


There were a ton of kids running around like crazy...grabbing little ones and stumbling over huge ones. Yelling, "How 'bout this one?" And parents taking pictures of babies in strollers under piles of pumpkins - a very odd thing to see.
To me it seemed odd. Even though the vibe was happy and the weather was cool, the sky was unnaturally blue and the wind was crisp the whole scene had a weird vibe to me. I took the pictures and when I got home I played around with them and made them look like the scene looked from behind my eyes.


I did see beauty in the bright pumpkins against the dark, dead foliage cut down so the patrons could walk among the pumpkins but it was still dead and strewn looking to me. And the two lonely trees in the background seemed to be watching sadly. The sky is no longer unnaturally blue...but more the way it looked to me. It had the eerie glow that I felt even though I didn't see it.
Life is really in how you see it. I am pretty sure that no one else saw this field the way I saw it that day. Yet, I think there is beauty in what I saw... Spring is about rebirth and autumn is about the crumbling and dying of things... the peeling back and dissovling into dust of living things to make room for new things... And there is beauty in that too. Those things are part of the cycle of life and should be celebrated as well.


The base of the card is mat board cut into aceo format with a collage of many papers. The main image is printed on a thick bumpy natural paper with inclusions... I think it suited the image well. I printed this image several times on thinner more translucent papers but the strong thick paper was the one that said the most.

SOLD

No comments: