Friday, March 7, 2008

Colors Aceo



How much of life is in your perception of it?
I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 1997 and with that diagnosis, I've changed. Something happened although I'm not quite sure what. Maybe when you have your first mania and you are so close to the edge of the universe, you're changed forever.
I've read about other people who have had life changing experiences - the astronauts when they see the Earth from orbit the first time, people who survive something so awful it would boggle most people's minds, people who come back from near death... People who have been to the edge of life or the universe and come back changed forever because.... Well, I'm not really sure why although I've thought a lot about it.


I think perhaps once a mind has expanded it can not be shut down again... and once you've seen life from a larger perspective the 'small stuff' really does become small.


I wonder where my perspective comes from and is the way I see, my perception of the world and beauty just the result of some random over-firing of neurons and brain chemicals....on an unremarkable Wednesday...all the way back in 1997? I don't know. I do know that frequently I will see beauty in the mundane...or the 'possibility' in a plain scene...something that someone else would pass by.


I took this picture recently in Cape May, NJ. It was really unremarkable...It's really just the corner of a larger picture of an outdoor pool, marked by lamp posts and surrounded by a chain link fence. But I knew someone in there was my bipolar vision of it... The thing that flashed in my mind when I clicked the camera... The thing I knew I could bring out of the corner in an unremarkable shot. I added the color and intensity of a 'bipolar sky' and I had it... This is what drove me to take the shot... This is what I saw.

SOLD

No comments: