Friday, November 28, 2008

Limitless possibility is a fragile thing ACEO


Limitless possibility is a fragile thing ACEO
Originally uploaded by popcornfeet

Life seems to have an unlimited possibility under summer night skies.. When all is well and warm and healthy. When you have more choices and chances for greatness than there are stars above you...

When nothing feels better than laying there..in soft grass and prickly weeds... and dust. Smelling the way wild flowers scent the night and brushing stray hair out of your eyes. Laughing with someone who loves you and holding them so close you can't tell where their skin ends and yours begins.

I was listening to a Bruce Springsteen song this morning and started to cry. Something that surprised me at first and than I thought about the words to the song -- The River.

But I remember us riding in my brother's car
Her body tan and wet down at the reservoir
At night on them banks I'd lie awake
And pull her close just to feel each breath she'd take
Now those memories come back to haunt me
they haunt me like a curse
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true
Or is it something worse
that sends me down to the river
though I know the river is dry
That sends me down to the river tonight
Down to the river
my baby and I
Oh down to the river we ride

There was something mournful in the heart breaking words this morning...Listening to the song I was transported to that field and the next minute, jarringly, I was here ... just listening to a song -- many years later... with regrets and unfulfilled promises... and the lack of time to do all the things those night stars promised.

And the sadness was so heavy it about broke me....

No comments: