Friday, November 21, 2008

Walking into the dark ACEO


Walking into the dark ACEO
Originally uploaded by popcornfeet

Walking forward in your life is always about walking into the dark, I suppose.

I took this picture near my home. There is a public garden with paths and ponds. It's lovey. I was looking through my photographs last week and realized I hadn't used any of the pictures so I decided to work with one of them. It's where the path becomes wooden stairs going up into a dark wooded area.

You can't see where your going but it's not scary -- not ominous. Somehow you know you'll come out into the sun on the the other side...

I didn't know why I chose to use this until yesterday. I was in Cape May, NJ -- In a shopping area and tired. I had left the stores and was sitting outside on a bench, people watching. Two men passed me talking loudly. One was smoking a cigarette and saying ... "Thats why I live the way I want and do what I want. One day she was fine and the next -- gone." And he made a waving gesture with his cigarette hand.

I don't know what the other guy said because they were too far away by that time.

But I thought of the picture and going into the dark... and I realized I'm going to the eye doctor tomorrow. I made an appointment two weeks ago because I'm having trouble with my eyes. I don;t know whats going on ....Its not like I need new glasses. I explained that everything looks like I'm seeing it through dirty contact lens'. And I see halos around lights even during the day... And glare.

I was driving home yesterday before sunset and the glare was making the world look foggy -- but there was no fog. But maybe not fog --- maybe more like white-out.... like a snowstorm.

I don't know. I've been dealing with it for a while now -- first thinking it was was a prescription change. Than thinking not.... Than thinking I had no idea at all... Than thinking I was losing my eyesight. And .....

And what would I do?

When I did this card I guess that's why it appealed to me. The thought of going into the darkness and coming out into the sunshine on the other side.

At least thats the plan....

No comments: