Monday, May 12, 2008

What if all that's at the end is the end?




Sold




I was driving around one day and saw a stairway that looked very old in the corner of my vision. I turned my car around and stopped in front of it. The stairway had deep spider web cracks in the thick sides.... it started at the road, incorporated the stone wall, sloped up the lawn and ended. Just ended.

I looked closer because I thought there must be a door to a root celler or something under the lawn but it was a solid cement-looking wall. Thick as time.

I took a picture and drove off but the image was disturbing. Well, maybe not the image itself but the image of going up stairs and coming to a solid wall.

It got me thinking about struggles. When I've perserved and made it... reached my goal... got to where I was going.... and all that was at the end was....an end. No reward, no lesson....no pot of gold. Just nothing. No, not even nothing. A wall.
I've thought a lot about the image and why it bothered me so much in the last month and I think I know what's bothering me. Maybe I've been thinking about goals all wrong. Maybe it's not the goal I should be focusing on but the trip...
A goal is a moment in time but the trip is your life, all the moments in your life. If you focus all your engery on the end when you get there; there's nothing. You reach your goal and than it's gone...You must be left very empty. Maybe that's why so many people never reach their goals? If all you ever think about it getting something and never live the rest of your moments you must know (somewhere in you) that if you ever get 'there' there will be nothing left for you.

I'm going to try and remember this lesson. I'm going to try and live the moments; not the goal.

No comments: