Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Painting for charity abstract

a little closer up of the one next door...

I try and support Foster Parrots by doing virtual adoptions of their unwanted pet birds. Foster Parrots is a 501 (c)(3) parrot sanctuary Rockland, MA. Their web page on virtual adoptions is here: www.fosterparrots.com/virtual.html

I am in my second year supporting Dora and Jewel. They are two beautiful little parakeets (I know they are beautiful... they sent me pictures!) that were unwanted by the families that made a promise to love them forever by taking them home. Luckily they were surrendered to Fosters...Not all stories end that well. Most don't.

I use some of the money I make on my art to do the adoptions which on small birds is $25 a year - plus I send them toys whenever I can. The parakeets are in a large enclosure and they live just like they would in the wild. In a happy loud boisterous flock! Also, while I send the toys in care of Dora and Jewel - I know they go where they go and another bird may get what I send. I'm fine with that. There are plenty of birds that need...

Side view of the cockatiel adoption abstract

I'm telling the story because I want to sell this painting and directly adopt another small bird. If the buyer wants me to do a 'in the name of' gift donation and have the packet sent to them I would love to do that... Or if the buyer prefers that Fosters not know their name, address, etc I will adopt the bird in my name and forward all the information when I get it. Fosters sends a whole packet.

This painting is one of my most recent ones, done in February 2009. They style of dripping and throwing the paint was a result of low vision issues I am having. Hopefully with surgery I will have my vision back soon but until than I still want to be creative and these paintings have been wonderful for me.

And I am hoping they can be wonderful for a sweet unwanted little feathered thing too!

Full shot  "looks like a cockatiel, maybe?" in an abstract sort of paint throwing kinda way... 2 foot by 2 foot on wood

The painting is 2 feet by 2 feet on a 1/2 inch birch wood panel. I used a combination of acrylic tube paints and latex house paint. The sides have a combination of both.. with some opaque areas and some drippy splattered areas. I love the colors in this painting - some olives, yellows, navy and gray and white... and I think the combination is striking. From far away it looks like a large graphic but from close up you really start to see the detail. Actually from a distance the colors look a lot like my cockatiel, Tazzy! She doesn't have blue on her but the blue is a dark blue... I know they used to consider cockatiels in the small bird category.. If possible and if okay with the buyer I might try and see if there is a cockatiel available for adoption. So many times these cute little guys are treated as throw-aways - it breaks my heart. And they are the sweetest things ever...

The back is plain wood with a large saw-toothed picture hanger and felt circles. It is hang-able as is although it can be framed if you wish. I plan to sign and date the back.

$25 (or the cost of adopting a small bird, if its changed) will go to Foster Parrots from the sale of the painting. I'll probably also get some toys to send them ... I'll do the adoption in either the buyers name or mine - whichever is preferred but I will copy the information I get and send it on to you if you don't want the adoption in your name.

Here is the listing www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=22186596

No comments: