Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Working looser and getting erfüllte Sehnsucht


So. The tight way I work is getting to me. While I like the art I've been doing very much it's gotten to be a bit like a migraine. Tight. Very tight.


In an effort to loosen up my head and my thoughts I bought some canvas and paint. It's a very scary thing because I'm not a painter. I've never painted. The largeness of the brushes and the wetness and runniness of the paint makes me crazy but I thought it was called for.

What has happened has been magical. I started painting everyday in an attempt to learn how...and also to exercise my relax-muscles.

I'm enjoying the process more than I thought and enjoying the results. When I walk past what I've done my whole body feels a collective 'ahhh!'. Like a peaceful exhale. The things I'm doing are simple and loose up to a point. They are acrylic paintings done on canvas that has had mulberry paper collaged onto it prior to being painted.

The rough surface is visually pleasing and I like it much better than working on canvas. All the things I've tried on just canvas have been done over...and over and over... until I cover it up with paper and do it with the fun nooks and crannies.

I have a series of these misty blue and green landscape type paintings - one color fading into the next...fading to black at the edges. erfüllte Sehnsucht, I call them.

No comments: