Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Fetal Aceo



I've been working with some tough images lately... This is a picture I just found and it's an early one. I was drawing like this in the summer of '97, months before I was diaganosed but I was very symptomatic. At that time I was more concerned with quickly getting feelings down on paper and I don't think I had started using colored pencils yet; I believe when I did this one I was still only using markers. They were fast to work with, they had blazing, sometimes shocking, color and they suited everything I needed at the time.


This card is about when it's all - everything and everyone - it's all just too much. How at some point you can't take a thing more - a good thing, a bad thing...anything.... not one thing more. And you know all that works to make it better is collapsing in on yourself. Curling up. Not hearing or seeing anything else until you are ready...


The card was done on a base of mat board cut into ACEO format. Through the main image you can see the base papers and I think that that gives even more of a feeling of vulnerability... The figure is not only curled into a fetal position but you can almost see through her...or partly...like she's fading away.

SOLD

No comments: